Vegan Gingerbread Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting
I have been kind of resisting getting into the holiday mood this year but then all of a sudden it came and I am totally ready to start all the fun Christmas traditions that we try to do every year. And most of them involves food in some shape.
I have been trying to make more vegan cakes as we always need to have vegan options for my little niece. I thought why not take the vegan chocolate cake that you can find here and try to make that a little bit more Christmas like.
So I made it as cupcakes, used less cocoa powder and added some Christmas spices. It took a few tries to make it perfect but I really think they came out just the way I like them.
They are super soft and moist but with this beautiful subtle taste of Christmas spices.
- 1 1/2 cup plant based milk, I used Oat
- 1/2 cup Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground Ginger
- 1 tsp ground Cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground Allspice
- 1 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC (360ºF). Line muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Add the plant milk, sugar, oil, vinegar, and vanilla into a large mixing bowl and beat on low speed until combined.
- In a another bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt until no clumps remain.
- Gradually add the dry flour mixture to the wet ingredients and beat just until smooth.
- Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center should also come out clean. Cool the cakes on a cooling rack.
I then decided to top them with caramel frosting, and I have had some problems with getting the vegan frosting as light and fluffy as I would get with a non vegan. But then I started using oat cream and it makes a lot of difference, I feel like I found a way to make the frosting even better. The amount of cream really depends on how light you want your frosting.
I then topped them with a gingerbread cookie dust, I just took some small vegan gingerbread cookies put them in a bag and rolled them with a rolling pin until they are completely smashed to dust.
- 180 gr soft Vegan Butter
- 2 1/2 cups sifted Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Caramel Extract
- Plant based Cream, I used Oat
- On medium speed beat the butter really well and then gradually start to add the icing sugar.
- Add the caramel extract and the oat cream and then turn the mixer on high speed and beat for about a minute. Use cream to soften the frosting, I used around 2 tbsp.
- Use smashed gingerbread cookies to top the frosting.