My Family Lasagna
There are probably thousands of lasagna recipes out there if not more, and people will always disagree on what is best. This recipe is my recipe, which has over the years changed and in my opinion gotten better. This is how we like lasagna in my house, and it is probably one of the favorite dishes in the family and a sure hit.
I tend to try to make the layers in the lasagna quite thin so I can get as many as I can, therefore more pasta.
And with a simple salad which contains romaine lettuce, tomatoes, parmigiano and balsamic vinegar, you can’t really go wrong. It is the ultimate comfort food.
- 2 medium Onions
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 kg Beef, minced
- 200 gr Bacon
- 2 cans whole Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Beef base
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- Salt & Pepper
- Handful of fresh herbs, Oregano, Lemon Thyme and Basil
- 70 gr Butter
- 70 gr. Flour
- 500 ml Milk
- 3 Bay Leafs
- Salt & Pepper
- Lasagna Sheets
- 150 gr shredded Mozzarella
- freshly grated Parmigiano
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the oil, finely chopped onions and crushed garlic, and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Then add the finely chopped bacon and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until meat is well browned, stirring constantly.
- Crush the tomatoes and add them to the pot as well as tomato paste, beef base and chopped herbs. Stir everything well together and let simmer on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Melt the butter in a small pot, and then add the flour and stir well. Let it cook together for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk and stir well, add the bay leafs, salt and pepper. Let it cook until it has thicken.
- When everything is ready start to assemble the lasagna.In a oven-proof pan start by spreading a layer of bolognese sauce, then a thin layer of bechamel sauce, freshly grated parmigiano cheese and then the lasagna sheets. Continue to do this until everything is finished.
- If you are using fresh pasta sheets you can assemble the lasagna just as you are going to heat it. But if you are using dried pasta it is recommended to either slightly boil the pasta before or as I do to assemble the lasagna 2 hours before it is heated , then the pasta can have time to soak up the juices from the bolognese sauce.
- Spread the shredded mozzarella on top and bake for about 30 minutes at 200ºC (392ºF).
- Serves 6 - 8